DC GFCI [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Jan 11 15:58:33 PST 2002

> Battery current will blow fuses.

This may not always be the case with DC ground faults - the current can
be limited in the ground fault due to it flowing in a circuit path not
intended to carry current - such as an antenna mast falling on the PV
array or metal roofing etc.

I have played with lots of fuses and breakers to simulate ground faults
etc and it is surprising how much arcing you can make without tripping a
breaker or blowing a fuse IF the "fault" is made with a few strands of
wire or some type of resistive component (such as a tool).

I'll post a few pitcures of the results on our website soon for all to
see what arcing can do.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com