DC GFCI [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Fri Jan 11 15:44:59 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
At 11:20 PM 01/11/2002 +0000, you wrote:

>The real hazard from a ground fault is not necessarily from the PV
>panels but from the stored energy in the battery and/or capacitors in
>the inverter.  The DC-GFP system will limit the amount of fault current
>that flows from the battery / inverter when the ground fault occurs.

Battery current will blow fuses.

In early inspections, before the DC GFP devices were available, AHJs would
allow a breaker to be used.  The problem was considered to be, at that
time, that the short circuit current from an array was not sufficiently
greater than the charging current to reliably blow a breaker in the event
of a short.  Batteries, of course, can do that just fine.

All connections to the battery should be protected by current limiting
overcurrent devices.

Drake

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com