Ballasted panel mounting [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Wed Jan 2 16:59:25 PST 2002

Wrenches:

Be a little bit careful with ballasted structures.
When I was at Endecon (PG&E) we did a ballasted structure as part of the
EPA PV project.
We found a problem with ballasted structures and the Uniform Building
Code.
The UBC has a section for seismic loading and it says you can't use
friction to resist seismic forces.
The basic idea is that during an earthquake the ballasted structure
bounces up into the air and it can "walk" off the roof as the building
moves around.

According to the UBC you have to attach it to the roof somehow.
As I recall a Zone 4 area (most of CA) requires you to resist a lateral
force of about 0.3 times the weight.
The city of San Ramon made us tie the system down with a cable leash
attached to the building structure.
Really ugly and expensive.

The good news is that UBC is not as widely adopted as the NEC and so you
might be ok.
But then again if the inspector requires you to meet the UBC requirement
it can be a big unplanned expense.

If you have any questions or I can be of any further assistance please
do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

John Berdner

SMA-America, Inc.