NABCEP [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Thu Dec 19 10:39:23 PST 2002

Jeff,

If you don't know what NABCEP "privately" wants, just ask the board members.
You are giving the impression that it is some faceless monster that you have
to guess about the intentions. NABCEP is the board of directors and the
subcommittees under that board--nothing more. I serve on the PV Technical
committee with Alan Sindelar and several others. Don Loweburg, Bob-O Shultz,
and Ezra Auerbach serve on the board. There is no private agenda. Talk with
the board members and get their opinions if you really want to know what
NABCEP is thinking.

If you want to believe that there is a hidden agenda, no one can stop you
from doing so. Conspiracy theories abound--and will continue as long as
folks want to believe them.

NYSERDA has their own agenda. They have a small program and they are looking
for ways to help ensure success with their limited funds. They have the
gold--they make the rules. If they feel that this certification will provide
an understanding as to whether someone is competitent--that is their
business. I'm sure representatives of the board have made presentations
about NABCEP, but that does not mean that there is a conspiracy to mandate
NABCEP. If NYSERDA wants to do that, it is within their rights. In their
case it will be phased in over time and if it causes problems in the
program, they can change the program and fix the problems.

The biggest negative about NYSERDA requiring NABCEP eventually is that the
nay-sayers will use this as an example of how NABCEP is subverting the PV
industry.

As I said before, the best way to get support for NABCEP is to do nothing,
just like we have done in California, and wait until it is too late.
Pandora's box is now open in California, and it is really hard to cram all
the bad stuff back in the box. When I first moved to California nearly five
years ago to teach installers and inspectors, nobody wanted to hear about
certifying installers. Now many are wondering why we didn't do it earlier
because a lot of damage has been done. These are natural reactionary
that could have been avoided.

Bill.