Big PV footprint [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 11 10:02:13 PST 2002

Don't forget that privately owned grid-tie PV was almost non-existent before
March 21, 1998. 2kW PV systems became popular because of their price-point and
available roof space. When the California $3/W or 50% buydown rebate started, I
offered 2kW AC Solarex Millennia/Omnion inverter PV systems for $3.04/WAC turnkey
installed price, but sold none even at that kick-ass price. That was 4 years ago,
but before Y2K, rolling blackouts, SunTies and SunnyBoys (my how time flies when
you're having fun). Willing buyers did not have roofs big enough for a 2-row 8 ft
X 70 ft thin film array and a 4-row 16 ft X 35 ft array would not fit because
most residential rafter runs are under 16 ft. The PV footprint problem is not
specific to thin film arrays. You all know how difficult it is to find a good
roof and people with money living under it.
Best regards,
Joel Davidson

Pat Redgate wrote:
how HUGE the foot(roof) print is!!  I know that there are
hardly any residential roofs down here with a single orientation that would
give me a SunnyBoyfull (2500).

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm