Smoke Detectors [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler, Positive Energy phil at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Dec 9 12:16:09 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Davidson" <joeldavidson at earthlink.net>
Subject: Smoke Detectors [RE-wrenches]

> Building code here requires that I have 6 detectors and they must be
> wired together so they all go off at once. They are, of course, electric
> with battery backup and the builder and I thought we could unplug them

My understanding is the detectors have a SECOND power source.  I'm facing
this issue (eventually) in the forever project I call my home addition.
Most builders interpret this code to mean AC power in addition to the 9v
battery--however, there is a large market for detectors that work when AC
power has failed--its called the Alarm and Home Security industry.  I
gleaned this info from a Fine Homebuilding article a year back detailing how
to install smoke detectors.  The writer detailed how it is common to design
alarm systems that work regardless of the presence of grid power.  That lead
me to System Sensor, of St. Charles IL, 800-sensor2, www.systemsensor.com .
They make DC smoke detectectors, 12 and 24v, (min 8.5, max 35v, 23 mA @24v)
photoelectric or photoelectric/thermal combo.

They are designed to send a signal back to a central alarm panel, and that's
where the rub is.   Although the central panel is intended to run off a
small UPS style battery in event of a power outage, the system is a standard
transformer & AC charger affair.  Someone willing to spend a little time
scratching their noggin & perhaps stretching a manu's warrantee can make
these work.  Me, I'm still at the stucco wire stage.

As a backup plan, my home has a few loads that must stay active 24/7 for
loads that I can't modify or power in any other manner.  I have a second low
idle current baby inverter that I leave running to handle those loads.  If I
must, I'll run the detector circuit on that inverter.

Enjoy the Sun!

Phil Undercuffler
Positive Energy

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious....
the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art
and true science"  --Albert Einstein

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm