Small Wind Turbines Towers [RE-wrenches]

David Blecker blecker at seventhgenergy.org
Fri Dec 6 10:42:12 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
Avian mortality is one of the biggest red-herring issues thrown up as an
obstacle to siting small wind systems!!!  Do birds die from running into
turbine blades and towers and guy wires?  Yes.  But let's consider the fact
that birds die all the time.  To wit....

Communication towers (TV, radio and cell) kill as many as 40-50 million
birds per year
Windows - not the operating system: 100 million to 1 billion per year
Electric power lines:  150 million per year
Cars:  60-80 million per year
Muffy the house cat:  > 100 million per year

Furthermore, I recall reading several years ago that it would take 867
years of wind turbine operations at Altamont Pass in order to equal the
number of birds murdered by the 11 million gallons of oil spilled by the
Exxon Valdez.

Residential size turbines and towers do not pose a significant risk to
birds. Period. The towers are too short to interfere with normal avian
activity.  Migratory flight altitudes are much higher than the towers we
put up.  Song birds and most raptors don't fly at night.  Fog and storms do
increase the risk factors but again, the numbers are so small as to be
laughable were it not for the hysteria of "bird-lovers" who we typically
find are the cranky neighbors of a proposed wind system.

Utility-scale wind farms are another story.  For those of you who haven't
seen it, the National Wind Coordination Council has prepare several good
documents on wind farm siting and bird issues.  See
http://www.nationalwind.org/

David

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm