Installation details [RE-wrenches]

Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Wed Nov 27 17:15:28 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
Here is the Code quote.  Below it is the discussion from the explanatory
section of the NEC Handbook.  The explanation really clears things up.  It
seems Jay is doing it right.

In a system not solar photovoltaic, conductors don't need separation, as
long as the system is under 600 volts and the insulation of all conductors
is adequate for the conductor of the highest voltage.

I'd also think that battery powered DC circuits could be in the same switch
boxes as AC from the inverter.  Would the power system supplied by the
solar voltaic system be subject to the rules of photovoltaic systems?

CODE QUOTE
(C) Conductors of Different Systems.
(1) 600 Volts, Nominal, or Less. Conductors of circuits rated 600 volts,
nominal, or less, ac circuits, and dc circuits shall be permitted to occupy
the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway. All conductors
shall have an insulation rating equal to at least the maximum circuit
voltage applied to any conductor within the enclosure, cable, or raceway.
Exception: For solar photovoltaic systems in accordance with 690.4(B).
FPN:See 725.55(A) for Class 2 and Class 3 circuit conductors.

Explanitory remarks from the NEC Handbook.
Section 300.3(C)(1) makes it clear that it is the maximum circuit voltage
in the raceway, not the maximum insulation voltage rating of the conductors
in the raceway, that determines the minimum voltage rating required for the
insulation of conductors for systems of 600 volts or less.
The conductors of a 3-phase, 4-wire, 208Y/120-volt ac circuit; a 3-phase,
4-wire, 480Y/277-volt ac circuit; and a 3-wire, 120/240-volt dc circuit may
occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway if all of the
conductors are insulated for the maximum circuit voltage of any conductor.
In this case, the maximum circuit voltage would be 480 volts, and 600-volt
insulation would be suitable for all of the conductors.
If a 2-wire, 120-volt circuit is included in the same raceway with a
3-wire, 120/240-volt circuit having 600-volt conductors, then the 2-wire,
120-volt circuit conductors could use 300-volt insulation because the
maximum circuit voltage is only 240 volts.

Section 690.4(B) prohibits the location of solar photovoltaic circuits
within the same enclosure as conductors of other systems unless the
conductors are separated by a partition or are connected together.

Section 725.55(A) prohibits Class 2 and Class 3 circuit conductors from
occupying the same enclosure, cable, or raceway as Class 1, electric light,
and power conductors, unless specifically permitted in 725.55(B) through (J).

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com

This email was sent to: michael.welch at homepower.com