NABCEP & Training [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 27 06:45:57 PST 2002

I think we need to realize this industry has layers like all other
industries.  An automotive engineer designs cars and deals with wind
resistance, weight distribution, styling, power transmission design,
operator controls, etc.  The car dealer knows pricing, features, and
financing.  The distributor knows markets, advertising, inventory control,
and creating sales networks.  The mechanic understands tuning, parts
replacement, and trouble shooting.  And the tow truck driver only knows
where the bumper is on each model!

It is possible that the engineer is also a Saturday mechanic and really
knows how to repair the cars he designs (but not likely!), and it is
possible at many small garages the dealer, tow truck driver, and mechanic
are the same person.

However, mature industries develop a place and level of training for
everyone involved, and do not try to make everyone the same.  Most of the
people on this list are the system designer, salesperson, installer, and
service representative, but our industry is still un-developed and we all
are the exception, and will not be the rule.

Our industry will also become more defined and we will find that as
engineers become more experienced, they will be doing the designing and
sizing of the larger commercial and institutional systems, with licensed
electricians actually following their accurate and detailed designs.
Residential grid tied systems will become more "packaged" from the suppliers
and installed by "factory trained" installers to install their specific
equipment.  Upscale home builders will "rough in" south roof to utility room
conduit for future a solar system, just as they now rough in wiring for home
automation systems, computer networks, and audio/video systems.  Low cost
"kits" will be available from Sears for the always present do-it-yourselfer.
The remaining highly custom, off grid, or complex mixed energy systems will
be done by wrenches, and there will always be that market, just as there
will always be highly paid race car mechanics and Rolls Royce dealers.

Any proposed training or licensing program for our industry should recognize
these different levels and not attempt to make everyone know it all, or have
the same certification.  There will be system designers, system installers,
repair centers, and equipment distributors, and they will not all be done by
the same person with the same training.  We need to think about the "bigger
picture" before locking ourselves into too small a certification framework.

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm