Pump choices [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Mon Nov 25 09:13:07 PST 2002

Jeff!
I have several USPC systems installed.
No need for a controller from Franklin or others.

Here is my experience so far.

I simply could never get the controller to work properly on other than
poly or mono. Amorphous drove the MPPT crazy.

Be certain to defeat the fault sensitivity codes on the dip switches.
Caused nothing but problems.
Be ready to oversize the array by at least 10-15% from Aero's
recommendations.
Be careful to install pumps with correct stages as recommended by Aero.

Reliabiltiy after three years for oldest unit?
Excellent

Hard to beat a standard AC pump with years of track record and having
the electronics all in one package above ground is nice.

Try to feed the 2000 no more than 2500 adjusted array watts and be
careful that voltage is STC'd if you are going to encounter cold with
clear skys.
Like the Sunny Boy you can kill the USPC with more than 600 VDC.

BTW the last install used the Sharp 165's. Hot performance excellent and
the MC cables saved lots of time and hassle.

Good luck

Larry Elliott

> The systems are:
> A. Teel, 1hp, 230vac with Franklin pump controller and
> AeroVironment USPC. 2kWp PV array
> B. Monoflo "Sun-Pro" 150vdc,8amp with MPPT controller
> C. Kyocera SC1000 135vdc, 14.19 amp with MPPT
> controller.
>

> All input will be appreciated.
>
> Jeff Lahl
> Solar Electric Light Fund