Pump choices [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Lahl jefflahl at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 25 17:06:23 PST 2002

Wrenches,
I'm hoping for some advice from you guys with a lot of
water pumping experience. We're going to be putting in
3 PV-powered submersible well systems in Africa that
have a total head of about 175' and need to produce
about 5,000gpd at about a 5.5 peak hour average. In
trying to evaluate the following 3 systems that have
been proposed to us, I have a 2-part question:
1. Does anyone have any good or bad experience with
the following pump systems?
2. Are there some other pumps we should be
considering?

The systems are:
A. Teel, 1hp, 230vac with Franklin pump controller and
AeroVironment USPC. 2kWp PV array
B. Monoflo "Sun-Pro" 150vdc,8amp with MPPT controller
C. Kyocera SC1000 135vdc, 14.19 amp with MPPT
controller.

Because of the remote locations and the importance of
water supply to the villages, we're putting maximum
value on life and reliability and are willing to spend
what it takes to get the best system.

All input will be appreciated.

Jeff Lahl
Solar Electric Light Fund