NABCEP Update [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue Nov 19 18:29:42 PST 2002

Jeff,

I'm really surprised to hear your take on this. I think I understand some of
your position, but there is another side to the story.

***SNIP***

We've just got to avoid that "very controlled and hard to break
into" scenario for all we're worth. It will kill RE as a major industry
faster than bad installs. Really.

***SNIP***

I think there is a valid concern that it should not be too difficult to get
into the business (I think you'll find that the pendulum is slightly to the
too easy side right now in the NABCEP requirments).

But restrictive entry cannot kill this industry faster than bad installs.
Maybe bad installs are not the most leathal thing to our industry, but
compared to restrictive entry requirements, there is no comparison.

I think you would have a different view of the world if you were doing
business in California. Those that are most vocal for more restrictions are
companies in California that are watching incompetent installers
undercutting their business by cutting corners on their installs.

It also depends on which sector of the market we are talking about. Your
view may be valid for off-grid installs where the market is tight and good
installers are hard to find. But for on-grid stuff where the rebates are
large, bad installs can get big press and potentially affect everybody.

Even Wrenches do bad installs if they are not up to speed on the
application.

Bill.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com