Ground fault [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Fri Nov 15 17:37:11 PST 2002

Christopher,

Your comments suggest that nothing will prevent some problems from occurring, if GFIs and fusing aren't able to provide protection. In over 20 years of installing battery-based power systems, I've never installed a GF protection device at the PV or battery primary wiring, seen one installed by anyone else, or seen any damage as a result of not installing one. Not to say it isn't possible (as evidenced by William Millers problem system) but for this occurrence to trigger mass installations of ground fault protectors, which are problematic in themselves, seems a little on the reactionary side, nes pas?

If this issue is so all-fired important, why not include ground fault protection in and for ALL DC control and conversion devices as standard, from the factory? Hmmmmm?---