Module grounding revisited [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 29 19:43:20 PST 2002

The trick is get electrical contact between the module frame and the
rack. Many modules frames are so well anodized that electrical contact
can't be counted on by just bolting them together. There must be a way
to break through the anodized coating to get contact.

One method used by some is to put a star washer (stainless of course)
between the module frame and rack where it is bolted down. Whether this
gives adequate conductance or not I'm not sure. I also wonder how it
will do over a period of years. It also wouldn't work with a clamp down
type rack.

Another corollary issue is how to get a good, long lasting ground on any
aluminum rack or module. Somewhere there is likely to be a problem with
corrosion between the aluminum frame and the copper grounding wire.
Inserting something stainless between might slow it down some. The best
I've seen is a copper lug (GBL-4DB from Ilsco) held with a stainless
bolt with a stainless washer between it and the aluminum frame (with
copper ground wire of course).

I have a question about the size of the ground wire. I think I've read
in the NEC that AWG #6 stranded or #8 solid is required where subject to
physical damage. Does ground wiring in an array qualify as subject to
physical damage (if the combiner is adjacent)? Or is #10 ground wire
adequate? Since #10 or smaller interconnect wire seems to be accepted,
maybe that's all that's needed for ground wire. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Brad Bassett

William Miller wrote:
One concept I had been wanting to research is that of grounding
> only the rack frame.  The Code seems to allow this:
>
> 	(A) Equipment Secured to Grounded Metal Supports. Electrical equipment
> 	secured to and in electrical contact with a metal rack or structure
> provided
> 	for its support and grounded by one of the means indicated in 250.134.

Brad Bassett
bsbassett at earthlink.net

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com