Module grounding revisited [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Tue Oct 29 17:58:54 PST 2002

Nick:

It doesn't say anything in the code about a special listing requirement.
Unless I hear a good argument against the practice of using a rack for a
ground path, I am going to transition to that practice.  My next rack
installation is a few days away, so we'll see if anyone else has any
interpretation.  I will also discuss the matter with the local AHJ, with my
code citations lined up, of course.

William

At 04:55 PM 10/29/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi William:
>    It is my understanding that a rack must have a UL listing which
>specifies that modules connected to the rack are considered to be
>"electrically connected" to the rack.  It is my understanding that most
>racks, including Unirac, have not been rated for this application.
>    What I find most excessive is to ground an array that is located on
>steel poles buried in the  ground with multiple yards of concrete
>surrounding the steel pipes.  Why ground any of it?
>    Nick

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com