NABCEP Call for comments [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Thu Oct 24 16:40:40 PDT 2002

At 01:50 PM 10/24/02 -0400, you wrote:

>William,
>
>How do I, a registered professional engineer (mechanical), get an electrical
>license? I'm not working for an electrician, and our work does not get
>inspected (inspections not required or even available here). When I hire an
>electrician to do some work for us, we train them on the PV, then they do
>the work, on their schedule. (Usually quite a ways out.)
>
>>From what I've seen, I need to work full time for a licensed electrician for
>a number of years to get a license. So I put my company in storage (shut
>down) for 5 years and do this? Sure I can. Pretty tough on the business
>though.

Jeff:

Let me see if I understand your scenario:  You are trained and licensed as
a mechanical engineer.  You want to change careers and get into electrical
contracting.  Sounds like you need to be trained and licensed to become an
electrical contractor.  It would be the same if you wanted to stop doing
mechanical engineering and become a medical doctor.  You'd be expected to
obey the law in your state and get the proper training and certification.

I could be misunderstanding what you are trying to do.  If you are hiring
licensed electricians to do the electrical work, then you don't need a
license.  And yes, any tradesman needs training on aspects of the trade
they have never experienced before.  They can get that training wherever
they want, I get it from manufacturers, from the NEC, from my buddies on
the wrenches list.

I know many licensed electricians that do shoddy work.  But the consumer
has protection if the work is substandard.  The licensed contractor has
something to lose, the license and criminal and civil penalties.  The
customer has no obligation to pay an unlicensed contractor.  In California,
it is simply the law, you have to have a license.  It is a minimal
requirement, but better than no limits on who can do this at all.

>If you know of another way to get a license, please let me in on it.

There may be a provision in California to obtain a license as a manager of
a contracting firm that has provisions to expedite the experience
qualifications.  I believe you are from another state, so your laws may vary.

>As a side, I'd like to know how many wrenches on this list are licensed? Am
>I in the extreme minority?

I have a license.  I worked for years without one.  I wish I'd gotten it
sooner, it has opened doors and legitimized my business.

It is frustrating to find my competitors breaking the law by offering their
services without a license.  It puts the customer's financial incentives
for grid tie installations in jeopardy.  Imagine, putting a $10,000 rebate
on the line to hire an unlicensed contractor (or unwittingly risking a
client's rebate by not being honest about your status).  Should I report
them?  Big question!  I'd appreciate feed back.

William Miller

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com