NABCEP Call for comments [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater, Ecovillage Design clrwater at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 23 23:25:55 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Hi Bob-O and All,

Thanks to Bob-O for having the insight to serve on the Board and
contribute an experienced wrench perspective to it.  I too fear the
negative backlash that could come from shoddy systems or worse yet -
some homeowner (or instant PVolactics business employee for that
matter) discovering what 500 volts does to your skin or heart.

However there also has to be a smooth way to get those of us wrenches
that don't have a electrician's license into the fold of a new
certification program without us having to pull romex through walls
for 4 years first.   I serve a multi-state niche market in renewables
and would love to see a National certification.  But for me and I
suspect many others it would have to honor either actual PV hours, or
number of systems installed, or number of KWs installed, etc. - not
just any sort of electrical work as an electrician under the
employment of a Journeyman electrician.

Nice seeing many of you in Grants Pass last weekend!

Best,

Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Design

>Bill, ETAL,
>This is an important thread and you all make great points. I see
>national certification as the coming thing. Whether it turns out to
>be a good thing is still up for grabs. That is one reason that I
>have joined Don Loweberg on the NABCEP BofD. I figure if I'm going
>to have to be on the boat anyway, I'd better try to steer the damn
>thing.
>I can visualize the NABCEP installer of tomorrow being what an ASE
>certified mechanic is today. All things being equal and if you have
>a choice, that's the go-to guy. Don't worry about the marketing
>part. Both the PV manufacturers (also on the NABCEP BofD) and any
>company who uses certified installers will be shouting it from the
>rooftops.
>These bad news systems scare me. Unfortunately, it's to be expected
>with California's looser-than-baby-poop licensing laws. A general B
>license doing ANY wiring let alone PV? Ridiculous and damn
>dangerous. Given that, CA consumers may well get the most benefit of
>all the states from a national certification. The good news is that
>most states are not at all like CA when it comes to licensing
>electricians. Most require far stricter requirements to sit for a
>test, a far more comprehensive test, and continuing education
>requirements. On the down side, these state requirements can and do
>actually keep many good RE installers outlaws. Perhaps national
>certification will prompt some of these states to pass a special RE
>license which will allow the qualified outlaws to get legal, buy
>liability and bonding insurances, etc. We live in hope.
>Best, Bob-O
>
>>John and Graham,
>>
>>I am afraid bad installations are becoming commonplace. There are far too
>>many people doing installs that haven't the necessary background to do the
>>work. I think that there are far too few controls on the CEC program to
>>prevent poor systems from being installed. I do believe that the
>>manufacturers have a role to play by establishing authorized dealer
>>networks, but I believe those providing incentives (CEC, NYSERDA, etc...)
>>need to send the right signals. Requiring NABCEP certification at some point
>>to receive rebate funds is not an onerous undertaking for a good installer,
>>but it will weed out many poor ones. It is only one of several reforms that
>>should be adopted soon if we want the industry to grow.
>>
>>I also firmly believe that there is far too much "design" work going on in
>>the PV industry right now by those who are clearly underqualified. Although
>>this will not sit well with many, I believe that system designs should be
>>fully engineered and fully documented so that a competent installer will
>>know exactly how to install the product properly, and achieve very
>>predictable results. We are not anywhere close to that situation right now
>>in California so we get the whole range of designs and performance from
> [...]

Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Design Associates - Whole Systems Design
Community and Village Scale Renewable Energy & Water Systems

Cell: 720-480-8455
Office:  800-440-2523 (PIN-7071)
Fax:  720-528-7813
jeffc at ic.org

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Advisory Board - Living Routes - Ecovillage Education -
http://www.livingroutes.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com