NABCEP Call for comments [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Wed Oct 23 19:05:49 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Bill, ETAL,
This is an important thread and you all make great points. I see
national certification as the coming thing. Whether it turns out to
be a good thing is still up for grabs. That is one reason that I have
joined Don Loweberg on the NABCEP BofD. I figure if I'm going to have
to be on the boat anyway, I'd better try to steer the damn thing.
I can visualize the NABCEP installer of tomorrow being what an ASE
certified mechanic is today. All things being equal and if you have a
choice, that's the go-to guy. Don't worry about the marketing part.
Both the PV manufacturers (also on the NABCEP BofD) and any company
who uses certified installers will be shouting it from the rooftops.
These bad news systems scare me. Unfortunately, it's to be expected
with California's looser-than-baby-poop licensing laws. A general B
license doing ANY wiring let alone PV? Ridiculous and damn dangerous.
Given that, CA consumers may well get the most benefit of all the
states from a national certification. The good news is that most
states are not at all like CA when it comes to licensing
electricians. Most require far stricter requirements to sit for a
test, a far more comprehensive test, and continuing education
requirements. On the down side, these state requirements can and do
actually keep many good RE installers outlaws. Perhaps national
certification will prompt some of these states to pass a special RE
license which will allow the qualified outlaws to get legal, buy
liability and bonding insurances, etc. We live in hope.
Best, Bob-O

--
Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection
PO Box 203, Hornbrook, CA 96044