copper leaching in solar thermal system [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Mon Oct 21 10:36:43 PDT 2002

Yes, my wife's blond hair actually has a green tint at the ends as does the
white shower's fiberglass after a month or so of use.

I used rosin flux and no soft copper in any parts of either loop. The
potable loop is basically convection with a very s-l-o-w pump to get it
going. Before the pump it didn't circulate well enough. The temperature runs
in the 110 degree range in the winter and 185 degree range in the summer.

Do you think there is any relationship between the fact that this solar
thermal system has the glycol part of the loop buried to the collectors on
another building and the potable side leaching what seems to be rather large
amount of the copper from the pipes inner wall into the domestic hot water?

Lets speculate that there is some kind of bizarre ground potential
difference on the different ends of the plumbing. While I don't understand
how a very minute current flowing through a pipe could cause any problems,
might that cause this leaching into the potable side (for all I know this is
happening in the glycol loop too) and if so, how would one rectify the
problem? Would you suggest ground rods at each end and bonding at each end
to those rods?

Todd

Graham Owen wrote:

> Hi Todd,
>
> I have never heard of anyone's hair changing color due to a solar water
> heating system, but I have had kids ask me if they will get freckles
> from showering with solar water.  The most common cause of copper
> leaching is having a circulation pump that is oversized, long runs of
> flexible-soft-copper, way to much acidic flux used during installation
> and water quality problems from the supply source.  I have no experience
> with women's hair coloring but I have noticed that sometimes the
> draperies don't match the rug.  No disrespect intended, just exploring
> all avenues.
>
> Graham Owen
> GO Solar

- - - -