thermomax vs flat plates [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Fri Oct 18 19:17:31 PDT 2002

Brad Bassett wrote:

> It looks like the Heliodyne GOBI collectors are top quality, anyone >
> with experience?

Experience you ask? I got into the solar biz during the Jimmy Carter
rebates in the early '80s. Installed many tons of hot water collectors
thru '85. Hung around till '90 fixing them.
  Of all the collector brands I've worked with, Heliodyne is hands-down
the best by a wide margin. Robust frames, serious but simple hold-down
hardware, and beautiful solid brass union fittings (with O-rings!) on
all four corners. Once you've installed these babies, it's really hard
to go back to anything else. This is German/Swiss craftmanship at its
best.
  Heliodyne was one of the very few solar hot water companies that
managed to survive after the tax credits went away with Ronnie Raygun.
They survived because they make great equipment.
  Now, all that said...Crystal can be a bit vexing to work with
sometimes. It's that German, "Ve vill do it ziz vay..." mentality. We've
had some difficulties with freight claims in the past. Learn to work
with her, it's worth it.

Best regards,
Doug Pratt

- - - -