600 VDC switches [RE-wrenches]

Eric Smiley Eric_Smiley at bcit.ca
Fri Oct 11 10:03:09 PDT 2002

>research on Square D breakers.  They are UL rated for
>45 VDC and factory certified for 125VDC.

There is a Square D Bulletin No. D-453A on "DC Rated Circuit Breakers"
that can be downloaded from the Square D website as a pdf. The file  is
in the On-Line Digest Technical Library under circuit breakers-general
information.

http://www.squared.com/us/internet/oldigest.nsf

It has all the DC ratings for Square D breakers as well as the wiring
diagrams that go with those ratings.

For example, The factory certified 125 VDC rating on QO breakers
requires both the positive and negative to be switched through a 2 pole
breaker. Whereas the UL/CSA 48 VDC rating only requires one pole.

Some of the breakers like the FA breakers only achieve the factory
certified 600 VDC rating if you run your positive through all three
poles of a 3 pole breaker. None of their breakers show a 600 VDC UL/CSA
recognition or listing.

Eric Smiley
Project Leader
Photovoltaic Energy Applied Research, Technology Centre
British Columbia Institute of Technology
Burnaby Campus

NE25 - 3700 Willingdon Avenue
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada V5G 3H2

phone: 604.432.8657    fax: 604.436.0286
esmiley at bcit.ca             www.tc.bcit.ca

The information contained in this E-mail is intended for the addressee
only.  If you have received this in error please delete it.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com