Power Plant Liability Insurance [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Wed Oct 2 10:11:45 PDT 2002

Insurance-relative article from this morning's SF Chronicle. (Solar and crank lab, in the same paragraph!!!!!)

Solar power setup may have sparked Croy Fire

Fire investigators are looking at the solar electrical system of a residential trailer as a possible cause of the fire that destroyed 34 structures, including several homes, and burned more than 3,100 acres in the Santa Cruz Mountains, officials said Monday.

California Department of Forestry spokesman Steve Gasaway said investigators now believe the Croy Fire, named after the mountain road where it began Sept. 23, was started accidentally.

Gasaway said investigators had called in an expert to evaluate the trailer's solar electrical system after ruling out the possibility that a methamphetamine lab had sparked the fire.

Rest of the article on the fire and weather, not the trailer and solar.

Graham Owen wrote at 09:35 AM 10/02/2002 -0700:

>John,
>
>I am wondering if the insurance company is more concerned about the cost
>of replacing the system if damaged or medical issues from someone being
>shocked.  I do know that in L.A. in 1991 there was a severe freeze which
>damaged a sizable number of thermal systems with inadequate freeze
>protection.  A number of insurance companies no longer cover the cost
>for replacing solar panels.  Perhaps making the insurance carrier aware
>that PV panels are not damaged by freezing conditions will ease their
>fears?
>
>Graham
>GO Solar

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Might does not make right but it sure makes what is."
			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com
     Home Power magazine
     www.homepower.com