Monitoring PV for public education [RE-wrenches]

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Mon Sep 30 09:01:32 PDT 2002

Graham:

We have lots of options for data monitoring and display (Some times I
think too many).

For a 6KW system the most basic would be a couple RS 485 cards in the
inverters running directly to a PC with a RS 232 to RS 485 adaptor. The
down side of this approach is that the PC must be running the Sunny data
software (free for download) in order to collect data.  If the PC is
down, or not running Sunny data, then you are not storing the data.

For off line storage of the data you need Sunny Boy Control Classic
(SBCC).  This will continuously monitor the inverter side of things but
does not pick up the Wind speed, irradiance, Ambient temp, Module temp,
etc. If you want to monitor the external sensors then go with the SBC
Plus.  The Plus has all the Classic stuff plus an 8 analog and 8 digital
channel data logger built in.  You should be able to find the plus for <
$2000 but you will still need sensors.  The sensors are a whole other
can o worms (quality versus cost).  We are trying to develop a sensor
package but it is taking longer than I had hoped.

SMA DE has developed a Java web client but I have to admit I can't be
much help supporting it.  I think you will need to find a high school
level programmer ;-)  The guys in Germany are very good with Email if
you can tolerate the day lag between question and answer.  Robert
Broderick at SWTDI (works with John Wiles) is working on a kiosk type
thing for use with the Plus.  Not up and running yet.

Please contact me off list and I can help you with additional
information.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

SMA America, Inc.