Quandry(was Help needed in Tuolumne County) [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Sun Sep 29 13:17:29 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Folks,
Fortunately for me, I'm too far away to help this person. I get calls
like this fairly often and I mostly say no. I would prefer to help
them out in the name of good will towards RE, but I can't see a way
clear to do that if I'm to stay in business. If I'm to take on the
responsibility for keeping someone's system up and running (and make
no mistake, once you jump into a deal like this one and fix it once,
you're it!) I have to make a profit on both my labor AND the parts.
We all do. What happens if some part fails AFTER you get the system
running? Whose fault?  Whose responsibility? What if it's still
within the manufacturer's warrantee period and you sell that product?
When I see a deal like this where somebody very likely bought their
stuff from a mail order house and then expects some local wrench to
make it work, I just cringe. What were they thinking?
When I hear some mail order salesman blame "a string of bad wrenches"
for this poor woman's troubles, my back goes up. Maybe she HAS had
inexperienced or unqualified electricians screw up the work. Maybe
she was never properly educated as to what the system will and will
not do and expects what can't be.  Maybe the mail order system design
was crap to start with and will NEVER work. I don't know, but I DO
know which of those I've seen more often. So do y'all.
So I'm curious. How would you guys and gals handle this?
Best, Bob-O

>Howdy Wrenches,
>
>Just received a call from a person in need of expert help outside of
>Yosimite. She has a diesel genset/trace sw system  Can't get it to work
>right and has had a string of bad wrenches "fixing" it.  email me if you are
>interested.
>
>Wes Kennedy
>wes.kennedy at jademountain.com
>
>- - - -