600 VDC switches [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler, Positive Energy phil at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Sep 26 16:11:01 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Brooks" <billb at endecon.com>

> there is a move afoot from the Fire Marshalls to require roof-mounted
> disconnects for system that have DC wiring internal to the building.

I think that qualifies as the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time, and it
should be pointed out to said Marshalls.  I know of at least a couple of
systems with roof mounted arrays, 10 in 12 pitch, metal roof, with modules
lining the ridge.  It takes my stickiest climbing shoes to even stay ON a
metal roof at that much of a slope, much less climb up to hit the
disconnect.

> This is already a code requirement in the 2002 code, but it is rarely
enforced.

Funny, my copy of the code says either outside the building or inside
nearest the point of entry.  Seems to me that's the same standard they hold
the utility service entrance.  Now, I've never seen a 200A utility
disconnect hanging up on the roof directly below the weatherhead--have you?
Usually I see them down at eye level, either outside on the wall or inside
the house on the other side.  In fact, when that utility disconnect is
inside the house it often is 10-15 feet away from the "point of entry."

So if a conventional electrician can put the main utility disconnect halfway
across the room from the theoretical "point of entry" to a service capable
of providing a near infinite current flow into a fault and not get a second
glance from an inspector, I would hold that our 40+/- amps of
current-limited array power should not be held to a higher level of
"safety."

Just my .02

Enjoy the Sun!

Phil Undercuffler
Positive Energy

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious....
the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art
and true science"  --Albert Einstein

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm