DC sub pumps [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Thu Sep 26 14:40:27 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
>....Many of my customers do choose to go with AC sub pumps
>especially since the advent of the Grundfos SQ series of pumps (variable
>frequency for no startup surge).
>
>Dave Palumbo

Wrenches with pipe wrenches,

Beware of terminology shift -- The new breed of "DC" pumps with
brushless motors are NOT purely DC pumps. This applies to our
Etapump, which has a controller up-top that takes DC power, does
matching tricks, then sends 3-phase variable-frequency AC down to the
pump.

This is a radical break from pure-DC pumps that use brush-type
motors, and should not be classified under the same heading.

I would call it DC-powered system using an AC motor. The quickest way
to make the distinction is to call it a "brushless DC pump".

"Brushless" not only means no brushes, but also that the motor does
not need to maintain air in it, nor a 100% perfect seal. In fact, it
runs with water inside it by design, so there is no critical seal.
Most reassuring is that the motor structure is based on the 50-year
proven reliable design of conventional AC submersible motors. The
only difference in the motor is the windings, the presence of
permanent magnets, and beefier bearings to handle the helical rotor.

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm