Diversion charge control [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater, Ecovillage Design clrwater at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 13 14:26:47 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Hi Steve,

Why not use an Enermaxer that's rated at 60 amps @ 48 Volts.  They do
buzz (audibly and well as electrical noise) but they are robust and
simple.  Equalization is manual is only drawback.  The backup unit
you can just set at a little higher voltage and it won't interfere.

That way you'ld have 2 units instead of 4! if you need parallel and
redundancy at that amperage.

Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Design

>I understand the code is requiring diversion type charge controls to be
>redundant as back-up for safety in case a dump load burns-out.I am currently
>specifying a system that will need TWO Trace C-40 controls because combined
>PV and seasonal hydro will total about 51 amps at 48 volts. (48 volts means
>C-60 cannot be used).
>
>While I have used C-40 in solar series control mode side by side for two 30
>amp arrays, I have concerns bout their function as diversion.  In series,
>when one drops to float mode, the other can carry on just fine, holding
>until it also reaches requirements for going to float. The other control and
>array may till hold battery voltage up at bulk  They can even equalize
>automatically at different times if their portion of the charge source is so
>capable.
>
>However, set up as a diversion control, when one goes to float mode it will
>probably pull the battery down so that the other never will go to float.
>Automatic equalization would never happen so long as one control might be
>pulling for float while the other tries to equalize.  Any experience in
>setting these up and how they work together or not? One option being
>considered is one control as diversion and most of the solar processed
>series through the other. But part of the problem may remain where the
>diversion unit can pull everything toward float voltage, taking most of the
>load most of the time.
>
>Steve Willey       steve at backwoodssolar.com
>www.backwoodssolar.com
>Backwoods Solar Electric Systems
>Home electricity from sunlight for
>locations with no utility lines.
>Free instructional catalog.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Design Associates
Home, Community and Village Scale Renewable Energy Systems

2525 Arapahoe Ave, Suite E4, #280
Boulder, CO 80302
1-800-440-2523 PIN7071
Fax:  720-528-7813
clrwater at earthlink.net
jeffc at ic.org

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com