DC-GFP/2 protection [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Aug 22 08:28:43 PDT 2002

The OutBack DC-GFP/2 actually includes two 70 amp breaker poles in its
current form.  This was required by the breaker manufacturer to allow
them to mark the assembly as a "UL Listed" device.  The amperage is 70
to allow for coordinated tripping if an overload occurs (the DC-GFP will
not trip first - the 60 amp breaker will trip instead).  We are
considering eliminating the redundant overcurrent protection in the
DC-GFP but it does offer some benefit if it is not installed properly.

John Berdner is correct that much of the world does not ground the
negative conductor and that grounding probably causes as many problems
as it solves.  In the US you can operate low voltage (less than 50 volts
DC) ungrounded - BUT - then you need breakers in both the negative and
positive conductors as they are both now ungrounded.

Given the low cost of breakers and the space in our PSDC enclosure to
mount up to 16 breakers - I think that the extra breakers are a
reasonable addition to ensure safe installations.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA