AquaStar 125 BS [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Tue Aug 13 07:53:30 PDT 2002

Hi Dave,

Put me down for another vote to NOT use the AquaStars (and other gas
tank-less water heaters).  They tend to be quirky, they do need maintenance,
and really aren't that reliable.  No plumbers will touch them so that leaves
you to maintain it.

My advice would be to look at the numbers and ignore the marketing hype.
Your customer will probably will be getting at least 50% of their annual hot
water from the SDHW.  The 125BS, with it's standing pilot, has an Energy
Factor of .69.  My Grainger catalogue lists standard tanked gas water
heaters with Energy Factors of .57.  Energy Factor relates to annual
efficiency so it factors in combustion efficiency, pilot losses and standing
losses.  Add some insulation and instruct your customer to shut the pilot
light off in the summer and you might could get the tanked unit's EF up to
.6.

That means for every $100 dollars your customer would spend on auxiliary
water heating with a tanked water heater, a Tankless would save
approximately $10. Tankless units have their application and in theory are
great but in practice they ultimately end up not being a viable alternative
for most water heating applications.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com