Code Compliance (was Re: Hypalon Cable [RE-wrenches])

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Fri Jul 26 09:21:52 PDT 2002

At 09:22 PM 7/24/02 -0700, matthew tritt wrote:

>I have to admit that my exposure to the arcane methodology of regular
electricians has definitely changed the way I look at AE, for the better I
add.

Friends:

I agree that the difference between welding cable and listed battery cable
is too small to matter.   I do disagree strongly with the notion that RE
systems don't need to comply with safety standards.  I am hearing this, if
I am not mistaken,  that since many folks have lived with funky, thrown
together systems for years, well, we don't need to bother striving to
install code compliant systems.  This is bunk!

If you live by yourself in a cabin and you've cleared brush to a safe
distance, then I think it's OK if you burn your cabin down with you in it.
If, however, you live with others who are counting on your skills to
provide a safe living space, or if you are hiring yourself out to others to
sell and install RE systems, I believe you have a moral obligation to
embrace any and all safety standards available.  This is akin to working on
automotive brake systems-- you just cannot take shortcuts.

I've seen installations here locally that scare the pants off me:  battery
wiring run through KOs without bushings or nipples, frayed connections,
wired color coded differently on the different ends of the conduit, too
much current through conductors, and on and on.  We've all seen it.

I disdain those who thumb their noses at safe, tidy electrical practices.
Good electrical practice is not "arcane methodology," rather it should be
the foundation of our work.  It has been said here before:  Nothing will
provide a greater set-back to our industry than a good, raging, RE caused
house fire.  And it can happen.

William Miller

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com