American energy use [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Thu Jul 25 17:44:57 PDT 2002

Could you all please take a quick moment to
post your (1) average monthly electric consumption and (2) your RE
system
and (3) the RE monthly contribution.

Good challenge Joel!

For my modest, *air-conditioned* on-grid home, 5-yr average '96 thru
'00, which has a very modest 400-watt intertie system consisting of: 4
used hurricane-whipped Siemens PC-4JF (75-watt) modules on an AES MI-250
inverter, plus 1 Solec 110-watt on a Trace Micro-Sine 130 (yep,
130...1st generation product).

(1) 251kWh/mo.
(2) described above
(3) ~30kWh/mo.

...my average since Sept.'01 when Real Goods tech department moved to
Hopland, and my EV-driven commute went from less than 2 miles to about
38 miles per day:

(1) 434kWh/mo.
(still cheaper than gas...at $1.30/gal I'd need to get 48 mpg to break
even,  gas ain't that cheap, and even my "other" car, the Prius hybrid
doesn't average mileage quite that good.)

Cheers,
Doug Pratt

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com