Hypalon Cable [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue Jul 23 15:29:31 PDT 2002

Allan,

I understand and respect your struggle and frustration. However, these
offgrid folks in the U.S. are so far from developing country status that I
don't even want to go there--for the most part they want to live the way
they live and want to be left alone--no problem from me. However, when I am
designing a system to use in a real developing country, I take a very
serious look at the code and equipment that has the technology to last for
the long haul. When you stick something on the other side of the planet, it
better be able to last 25 years. So much of the crap that our industry has
installed and produced won't last a week in many of those locations.

The fact that folks in their broken down trailers will use barb wire as PV
output conductors is of no interest or consequence in my book. There will
always be folks that think they can cut corners and save money--usually at
the expense of safety. If people want to put their own lives in danger, that
is their problem. The code is to keep people and property safe from
electrical hazards. As I tell people in my classes, it is very difficult to
kill yourself or burn down your house with 12 Volts (unless you try), and if
people want to pretend they live in the 3rd world or live like a bum, this
is a free country and have on at it. That will NEVER fly in the real world.

I have no interest or need to help hermits in the back country live whatever
way they want to live--they will do that with or without my help. I want to
help the person in suburbia that wants access to this amazing technology and
needs and wants to do things by the book. I understand that is not the main
clientel of many wrenches and that's fine. It is the largest segment of the
expanding market for PV however. There is no option--it has to be done right
and according to traceable codes and standards--that is the real world. It
is simply a different market and wrenches have to decide for themselves
whether they want to play in that market or stay with their existing market
that has been their bread and butter for 25 years. I can understand and
support those folks that don't want to play in this new market--it has a lot
of downsides. On the other hand it is very hard to resist because, in
certain pockets, their are enormous amounts of money at stake as some
wrenches in California have learned.

Bill.