Hypalon Cable [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Mon Jul 22 16:55:48 PDT 2002

Bill,

This sounds like that one foot piece of cable was lying in the sun or a pool of sulphuric acid! I have seen similar welding cable, which I installed in 1982, still in as-new condition. By the way, I bet that most of us have seen old UL listed equipment that is in a state of decomposition, in spite of it's listing. Like that neat, self-petrifying rubber insulation found in lots of old residential and commercial installations?

Everyone knows (presumably) that welding cable is designed for, and used in far more demanding environments than are normally encountered in your average off-grid energy system. Not too many off-griders are running over their inverter feed cables with metal casters, showering them with molten metal or dropping pieces of sheet steel and angle iron on them, are they? Just because some agency has given it's blessing to some piece of equipment doesn't necessarily guaranty that it's any better that one which hasn't.

I'm with Drake on this issue. Welding cable is available locally, it's a little less expensive and it has proven it's durability in thousands of installations, over many years. This all seems to be a battle over the "LAW". You can still get busted for ignoring a law, no matter how non-sensical or dumb it is, so change the law.

Matt Tritt

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com