[RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Tue Jul 16 18:26:40 PDT 2002

<<I have heard of similar problems with other Exeltech HF switching
inverters... I
guess that is one big advantage of the trace boat anchor approach using huge
transformers. I am surprised that the tech did not mention this interference
is
a common problem with their style of inverter design.

I believe the only way to 'fix" it is to get another inverter. Live and
learn...

Todd>>

Except we have installed many other Exeltech inverters without this problem.
We have a small house that we rent out and we use an XP1100 12v there with
no interference and we have other 24v XP systems with no reported
interference.

David
IP&L

"David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light" wrote:

> We recently installed a small off grid 24v PV system utilizing an Exeltech
> XP1100 sine wave inverter and an Iota DLS 24v 25 amp battery charger. The
> system also has an Iota automatic generator transfer switch. The system
has
> 245 ahrs of battery storage and is grounded according to our standard
> procedures.
> It is installed in a small home that previously operated on gas lights and
> small generator (Honda 3k inverter gen) for TV, microwave etc.
>
> The television is picking up interference from our system. With the TV
> powered by the inverter it has some audible static and visual snow, and
> diagonal lines that were not there when the Honda ran the TV all alone.
When
> the generator is run (without battery charger for now), and the
autotransfer
> switch loads the gen with the TV, the TV picture and sound are no better
> until the inverter is actually shut off. At this point we are back to the
> original TV picture and sound before our system was installed. When the
Iota
> battery charger is on the TV is at its worse state of picture and
> interference.
>
> The tech help at Exceltech suggested that the 6 foot run to the inverter
> using #6 AWG cable (1% voltage drop at 1,000 watts)is too far, that
placing
> the inverter directly on top of the batteries would clear up the problem.
> This we just can't do although we did twist the cables around each other
as
> also suggested. No relief. The inverter is seperated from the TV by a wall
> and by a distance of 16'. The batteries are located in a battery box in
the
> same large room as the TV and are 14' away.
>
> The tech help at Iota offered that earlier models of the charger had
> interference issues but that these had been addressed in the newer
versions
> (we are told that we have a newer version as indicated by the blue line
> under the Iota model number). It was suggested that a jumper wire be added
> between the DC negative input to the charger and the ground terminal
> (creating a ground loop). Again, no relief.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Barry Shaw
> Independent Power & Light

- - - -