SunFrost RF19 freezer performance [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 14 17:48:35 PDT 2002

We have sold many RF-16's and a few RF-19's and I have owned one of each in
our home for about 6 years.  We have noticed that compared to standard
refrigerators, it definitely takes almost a week to get ice cream "frozen
solid" in our RF-19, but once it is there, it stays frozen solid.

Our biggest problem with both size units is that we have high summer
humidity's and we have to defrost both units about once per month during the
summer, even though we keep our home cooled to 76 degrees.

Yes, we have replaced the door seals (several times!).  Also, you can't
crowd too much in the refrigerator section of either or the items toward the
front (like milk) will spoil in only a few days.  These systems need a
better door latching system and some kind of interior circulating fan on the
larger models that cycles on every few hours.

My wife has been on me for years to replace the one in our kitchen, as she
is tired of wet food at the bottom ( from melting ice on the interior), ice
2 inches thick on the back, and broken plastic door latches and shelf
brackets (replaced several of each on ours).

I must admit however, that all of the ones we have sold are still working,
are quiet, and do have low energy usage.  I think you probably have a slow
refrigerant leak on your unit if the door seals are new.

P.S.
I saw some great new refrigerators and freezers on display at the SEIA show
in Reno several weeks ago and they work great. The top load refrigerator, on
display in a parking lot outside in direct sun at 2:00 PM with no shade at
99 plus degrees, was keeping a ton of soft drinks cold  and the lid was
constantly opening and closing to show visitors.  It was running totally on
one 40 watt solar module with NO battery backup!!   Also, they are less than
half the price of SunFrost for same capacity.  They do not make a front load
model which I would prefer, but they hold lots of stuff and are the lowest
energy usage 12 volt DC units I have found.

A little market competition is always good to spur new products.

Jeff Yago
Dunimis Technology Inc.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com