GTI Clarification [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 13 09:05:30 PDT 2002

Hello Pagan,

On 24 May 2002, you gave a good report (below) on the GTI situation.

Yesterday, I asked my customer if Xantrex still working with him to resolve the
voltage regulation problem. Here is his reply:
        I haven't heard anything from them since they sent me a GTI
controller card about three weeks ago to fix excessive relay cycling (which
it did improve). There is no solution to the loss of the Load Amps
displays, however, they seem to have resolved all other problems but one:
there has always been the outstanding issue of needing to fix the voltage
regulation instability problem that crops up unpredictably. I haven't seen
any movement on this in four months -mostly, they just listen and
acknowledge that there is a problem. I've yet to hear of anything that
they've affected to improve regulation.

What's the latest news on the GTI situation?

Pagan MacKay wrote:

> Wrenches,
>
> To clarify - THERE HAS NOT BEEN A RECALL and I'm going to run through a
> little history to ensure everyone has a good understanding of the
> background.
>
> When we shipped the first GTIs to our WIP customers some of them
> reported strange operation of some loads e.g. lights flickering.
>
> We sent techs and engineers to investigate homes that reported the
> problem, stopped shipping GTIs, and reported the delay to WIP homeowners
> and distributors. We identified the issue, developed a fix and began
> shipping GTIs again. Our first priority was to ensure WIP customers
> received updated GTIs and then we shippedorders for distribution
> partners.
>
> As we began shipments we receive isolated reports of noisy GTIs from WIP
> customers and sent teams to investigate.  We isolated the problem to a
> batch of        inductors from one supplier that somewhat delaminated after
> several high power cycles.
>
> Since we had just began shipping GTIs to distributors and wished to
> avoid having more noisy GTIs in the field we arranged to get all GTI
> stock back to check each inductor. We replaced all inductors that came
> from the unacceptable supplier and we no longer purchase inductors from
> that supplier. We also added an updated mounting configuration which
> ensures that GTI noise at all power levels is below the ambient “humm”
> of the SW.
>
> Only WIP customers are potentially effected by the noisy inductors and
> we think we know all the systems/units that could be effected and we are
> contacting dealers/homeowners proactively.
>
> We are committed to working closely with any installer/homeowner who
> believes they have one of the effected transformers. Please contact your
> assigned Xantrex WIP representative or call tech support.
>
> Happy long weekend to all of you.
>
> Best,
>
> Pagan
>
> Pagan MacKay