AC/DC in Same Conduit? [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at jps.net
Thu Jul 11 13:45:15 PDT 2002

I'd like to run e-meter wiring in the same conduit as the inverter output to the
house wires (120')... mind you that adding another conduit would involve cutting
a trench through a cement driveway... sigh. That is why I am tempted to "do it
anyway" especially since no inspector will see this job and nit pick at that.

Speaking of which, do any wrenches know what gauge wire I am going to have to
run that distance to get the e-meter to work. I remember a conversation about
this way back, but the details are long gone.

Todd

Bill Brooks wrote:

> David,
>
> The only concern I would have with a 500' run of DC and AC is the potential
> for harmonic coupling of the AC with DC circuit. I've never tried it so I
> can't say it would even happen, but it seems questionable at best and it
> seems that it could cause the inverter to operate in a funky manner. The
> other option would be to put the inverter out at the array so there is only
> AC in the conduit. Would this work for you. I know the DC side is higher
> voltage and would be better to run the longer distance, but this seems like
> an exception to that rule.
>
> Bill.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com