UV resistant cables and quick connects warranties [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Sun Jun 30 20:55:22 PDT 2002

Mo,

It sure is obvious you have integrity and care about your customers and
their systems.  I am wondering if there is some sort of spray or
compound that could be field applied to MC's to either prevent or
postpone corrosion?  Knowing that MC's can withstand 4 days of severe
winds is very reassuring.  My biggest concern has actually been the
possibility of MC's being used on a ground-mounted array, where kids may
have access and be tempted to pull and/or hang on wires.  Hopefully the
new MC disconnection prevention clamp will be available soon.  I talked
to a German Wrench who has installed MC's for a few years; he loves them
and has had no problems. You mentioned having exposed wiring in conduit
and this should become a standard.  It doesn’t matter how intelligent a
roofer may be, they don't cut conduit.

With respect to the new attitude at Shell, it's pretty amazing.  Last
year the people at Siemens Solar were somewhat overwhelmed by the
unexpected energy crisis and the sudden, massive volume of people
calling on the phone.  This was further compounded by a lack of modules,
since most has previously been allocated to the German market.  Perhaps
Siemens employees were also uncertain about their jobs with the Shell
takeover looming ahead.  The only thing they had going for them was the
quality of their products.

Shell brought in a new manager, Gord Handelsman, who single handedly
reinvigorated the existing employees and has given them a new sense of
drive and direction.  It could be said, there used to be a perception of
arrogance at Siemens. This has vanished and been replaced with a
listening, caring and understanding attitude that will pay dividends for
Shell. Another interesting fact is that Shell has brought in a number of
robots, which will help automate their manufacturing and packaging.
This will hopefully result in decreasing the cost of their products.  I
feel very positive about the future of Shell Solar and the role it will
play in our industry.

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com