Battery types & distribution, over time [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Thu Jun 27 07:05:33 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Andy and all,
I agree that the flooded lead-acid are the best bang for the buck in
most remote homes. I used Trojan exclusively for many years, but I've
moved away from them after several bad batches of L-16s had cell
failures three years or so into a well maintained life. I can only
surmise that QC went into the crapper at some point and, of course,
Trojan wasn't copping to it. I've switched to Dyno. These are made in
WA and were what Trace Engineering (remember them?) used for years on
their burn-in stations. Same specs as the Trojan L-16 but five pounds
heavier. Some of that weight could be case or electrolyte capacity,
but some has to be lead as well. More lead equals mo'betta, IMO.
Unfortunately, I've only been using them a couple of years, so time
will tell...but not yet.
I too, set my bulk voltage set point higher than God intended it to
be. Out, damned sulfation, out! Since I also use Hydrocaps, frequent
watering isn't needed for the first five years or so until the Hcaps
start to deplete. I eyeball them every month or so. The SB50 is still
the best way to go for PV (I use shunt load regulation for my hydro
and wind inputs) , but I'm happily anticipating Outback's MPPT
offering coming soon. I may have a beta unit in my system by the end
of July if all goes well.
Best,bob-O

--
Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection