Wrenching in L.A. [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Thu Jun 20 21:40:41 PDT 2002

Graham:

How about the cost of electricity to pump water to a rooftop panel?  I know
little about water systems, but that won't stop me from showing my
ignorance!

I have a question about spa water heating.  I was given two nice used water
panels I wanted to install on my spa.  Where I live it freezes hard in the
winter.  I was told I needed a system that would drain down when not in
use.  Therefore, there is no siphon effect to reduce pump energy
requirements.  My friend measured power draw on the higher horse power pump
I would need and it was almost as much as the heater.  He suggested I
install a bigger grid tie system and forget the water panels.

I have a potential client who wanted to install a DC water pump system.  He
is on grid.  I told him that when a water system is not running, your money
is not working.  A grid tie system is working whenever the sun shines.  He
would be foolish to invest in PV to pump water when he could grid tie, get
the rebate and tax benefits and make his investment work every sunny day
(which are plentiful in this locale).

William

At 04:26 AM 6/21/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Graham,
>
>I think your comparison is quite accurate, and it might be even more
>cost effective when replacing electric hot water systems. I've promoted
>solar hot water for years over PV in grid connected applications. Too
>bad copper pipe is so rigid compared to copper wire!
>
>Brad
>

>Graham Owen wrote:
>
>> I am considering adding a page to my website that hopefully convinces
>> local potential customers to have a solar water heating system
>> installed.  I want to do this in such a manner that I do not make
>> disparaging remarks about PV.  I find installing PV to be much more
>> fulfilling for many reasons than installing solar water heaters.  I just
>>
>> need to remain productive. Since 1982 I have installed over 700
>> residential solar water-heating systems in L.A., and when I say, I mean
>> I.  I personally drill and seal every hole in my customer’s roofs and my
>>
>> helpers help me complete the job.
>>
>> Here is the link to the page and there is no link to it from my web site
>>
>> (yet).
>>
>> http://www.solarexpert.com/solar-comparison.html
>>
>> I would truly appreciate any advice or suggestions.
>>
>> Graham Owen
>> GO Solar
>>

>Brad Bassett
>Schott Applied Power
>Tumwater, WA office
>bsbassett at earthlink.net
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com