Interesting info on Uni-Solar panel comparison [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Sun Jun 16 17:48:02 PDT 2002

Hey Marco,

  'Bout 4-5 years ago when the triple-junction modules were just
starting to show up I had the same concerns, based on the miserable
performance we'd been seeing from earlier amorphous products. I took 4
randomly-selected US64 modules out of Real Goods stock, and sent them to
Sandia Labs for some testing and light soaking. They all arrived with
original factory packaging intact, so there was no cherry picking. All 4
modules delivered 95 to 98 watts fresh out of the box. After 2 months
they'd all dropped about 15%, and after 4 months, and again at 6 months
they were still within +/- 2% of the 2-month performance figures.
(That's about 80-watts output.) With 4 modules, this is a much more
statistically accurate test that the Swiss test, which used only 1,
maybe 2 samples.
  At 6 months we ran a "solar shoot-out" at one of our summer Sol Fests
comparing the 4 US64s against 4 Siemens SP75s and 4 Astropower 75s. Each
module was monitored and data-logged individually, but all were charging
the same 12-volt battery pack.
  Since Uni-Solar performed substantially better than the single crystal
modules, which we were...and continue to...sell the most of, we never
published the results. Uni-Solar did use the info for a little while,
which the folks at Sandia were VERY unhappy about(what's wrong with
real-world, name-brand comparisons I'll never understand).
  The conclusions I saw were that Uni-Solar triple-junction comes out of
the box VERY hot; they degrade about 15% in the first 60 days or so, and
then degradation levels out. Will they make it to 20 years within 20% of
rated output? Nobody knows for sure. Uni-Solar is betting the company on
it. We do know there IS a substantial power bonus initially.

Best regards,
Doug Pratt