module connection arrangement [RE-wrenches]

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Wed May 22 07:33:02 PDT 2002

Todd:

The series fuse is there primarily to protect the module against back
feed current during a fault (UL requirement).  For example if you have a
short (to ground) in a series connector then you can get big currents
flowing from other parallel strings of modules. You can use the fuse for
over current protection of the wiring but that is not UL's main reason
for it.

This brings up an interesting question if the fuse is in the Jbox.
The wiring between the parallel connection point and the fuse is
unprotected. This could create a hazard if there was a fault between the
parallel connection point and the fuse. Depending on the number of
parallel strings and the size of the wire I think you might need
additional over current protection to protect the wire.  Since this is
probably impractical this would argue against fuses in the module jbox.
There may also be some code accessibility issues with fuses in the jbox.

Comments from Wrenches ??

If you have any questions, or if I can be of further assistance, please
do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

John Berdner
Phone: 530.273.4595