SW fault [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Sat May 11 07:02:01 PDT 2002

I'm not sure how the 230v 50hz versions operate.  I know that when the US
version of the SW is not synced to the AC source (anytime the "AC1(2) IN
GOOD" light flashing), the reading on the SW's meter goes up then comes back
down at a very predictable rate.  The first time I saw it happen I was a
little shocked but I've since noticed that every SW I've installed does it.
I always assumed it was taking voltage samples at some point on the sine
wave then displaying that voltage sample (stupid design, yes) and that as
long as the RMS voltage stayed within the window there was no problem with
the unit hooking back up to the grid.

But, you say that yours isn't connecting back to the grid.  Still, it might
not be a problem with the inverter.  I assume that you observed the system
while the voltage approached then reached the LBX transfer point and it
didn't transfer back to the grid?  How long did you wait?  If the loads are
light it might take hours. I fiddled with LBX on several units but it was
always a problem getting to work anywhere near where I wanted it to.  LBX
just hasn't proved to be a very useful or easy to implement feature.  If you
switch the inverter back to FLOAT mode does it hook back up to the grid in
the usual minute or so?

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com