Switches [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Fri May 10 10:43:13 PDT 2002

Bob Galbreath wrote:
> The Los Angeles DWP inspector (there is only one for PV) told me a
> couple of months ago that he would approve a pull-out type switch if
> it was un-fused. I haven't tested this however.
>
> Graham, any experience here?

Hi Bob,

You asked about switches: I have been installing Square D 30 Amp 240
Volt AC single throw, non fusible, 1 phase, 3R, safety switch. Catalog
number DU221RB.  These need to be visibly located within 8 feet of the
main panel.  This is where I put the Delta surge arrestor and the
required solar power labels.  Since I am running typically a ½” conduit
to the main panel anyway it doesn’t take much extra time and money to
install this safety device.  I like having the switch for service
reasons.

It has been difficult for me to stay so quiet while the subject of
“locking down switches” and “utility control” has been discussed.

Here is the latest from Los Angeles.  The LADWP has been as is currently
locking down all new grid-connected systems!  According to LADWP the
entity exercising its control at this time is the IBEW.  The IBEW is in
the process of re-negotiating its contract with LADWP at this time.
Apparently something has changed in the details of the previous
contract, now there is power entering the grid through the branches.
Perhaps a safety issue but more likely a control issue.  I have been
informed that the IBEW has been criticized from within for not obtaining
control of the cable and fiber optic industry, and they want a certain
measure of control of the solar grid connected industry.  Things get
very political when millions of dollars are being handed out.

So as this unfolds the LADWP is indeed locking down systems when there
inspector Joe Stadler makes the utility inspection, then a week later
(hopefully) an “electric service rep” makes his inspection, then another
week later (hopefully) a “meter setter” installs a new meter and unlocks
the PV.

I will be in Sacramento for a few days next week helping the California
State Contractors License Board change the current C46 solar test to
include as much PV testing as thermal.  From piecing some of the current
puzzle together it appears that the State of California may perhaps want
to get PV back into the control of C46 solar contractors and the
grid-interconnection accomplished by an IBEW member.

With respect to achieving sustainable development:  I believe that our
government needs to allocate more funding for R&D grants to find more
efficient solar and power storage technologies.  If PV modules cost half
as much, produced twice the power and took up less roof space,
homebuilders in the future could build efficient home with primarily DC
electrical systems.  DC power is one of the main advantages of
distributed generation and homebuilders that incorporate this technology
should be rewarded.  In the more distant future when the average home
runs on DC RE power the utilities will be begging for net-metering.

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm