Joel sees the "gas" light!! [RE-wrenches]

mrousso at urbanrefuge.com mrousso at urbanrefuge.com
Tue May 7 15:25:29 PDT 2002

Hi All,

I feel the need to chime in.  WAAAAAYYYY back in
engineering school (25 yrs ago or so), I was a
research assistant on an H2 car project.  The project
was funded by JPL and was in response to the Arab oil
embargo.  We successfully created a catalytic reactor
to remove H2 from liquified coal which then powered a
VW bug engine on the dynamometer and a Ford Pinto on
the street.  (The Pinto was a real chic slayer back
then).  The engines required mods to the fuel delivery
system, but ended up running fine.  We were rewarded
for our efforts with a small article in "Popular
Mechanics."

So, why did it take 25 years for H2 to become
"popular?"  Everything I've read says that our economy
is poising to switch from a petroleum-based ecnonmy to
a hydrogen-based economy over the next 10 years.  My
feeling is that it is being driven by automobile
manufacturers because:
1.  They see petroleum as a finite resource and are
looking to position themselves in advance of its
increased scarcity and cost.  Why did Shell buy
Seimens?
2.  They have strong competencies in internal engine
technology and want to leverage that well into the
future.  H2 plays well here.
3.  Current fuel cell research is heavily positioned
in extracting H2 from hydrocarbon sources (e.g.
natural gas) with additional research focused on PEM
FCs, etc.  This means that essential infrastructure
for distribution of H2 is already in place -- gas
stations.
4.  Fossil fuel companies support the effort due to
#3.
5.  H2 can be metered and supported by a central
distribution system (similar argument to #3)-- no free
energy to the masses/
6.  It keeps them on track in response to federal
mandates -- yeah, right.

No where do I see "being green" (other than throwing
the cash cow another 10 year life-line) in their prime
motives.

I believe we are still a VERY long ways off before we
will see H2 and RE co-exist as they can and should.
So in the mean time, install PV and drive those
EVs/Hybrids to stay grounded.

Mo

=====
Mo Rousso