Joel sees the "gas" light!! [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Mon May 6 09:15:07 PDT 2002

Joel wrote

> I think I got your point. A few years ago, and maybe even now,
electricity
> generated at Niagara Falls at night in winter "sold" for $(0.02)/kWh
(yes,
> minus) commercial customers because the dynamos have to keep running
24/7.
> Extra electricity + water = the right situation for hydrogen
generation.

> How about pulling over and parking? Never happen. We are addicted to
the
> automobile because it give us a feeling of freedom and power that
clouds our
> judgment and drives us crazy (another weak pun). I've given up
expecting
> rational societal decisions about automobile design, fuels or use. Too
many
> people are hooked. We spend almost 25% of our personal income on
> automobiles, and drive hundreds of hours to and fro damaging the
> environment, killing almost 40,000 and seriously injuring more than
1.2
> million people annually. We buy fuel from people who hate our way of
life
> and protect the oil wells with our teenagers' lives. But getting a
driver's
> license is a teenage rite of passage and most people remember their
first
> car as fondly as their first love affair. Heck, we don't care if it's
> gasoline, or electricity or hydrogen that we put in the tank, just as
long
> as we can keep on truckin.'

Joel I think it is great that you have "COME TO SEE THE LIGHT" ;-)

Your sentiments as expressed above only confirm and reinforce the
urgency and priority we have in seeing that PV or other renewables
become available as h2 to power either a fuel cell or ICE vehicle. There
is no other alternative with mass inpact presently or even envisioned
for the future.

Although I will say this.
"FULL SPEED AHEAD WITH METHANOL AND GASOLINE POWERED FUEL CELL VEHICLES
AND DAMN THE TORPEDOS"

Now before you think I am crazy (course some of you probably already do)
remember that our industry was started primarily by the military and
NASA.
Those " powers that be" probably never expected a bunch of hippsters to
be creative and bring this technology down to earth and use it to scale
the walls to electricity freedom built  by Mr Reddy Killowatt.

A fuel cell vehicle powered by methanol or gasoline would placate the
oil companies and the car companies would play along in mass producing
them.
But they could be a Trojan horse that lets all of us get the renewable
h2 technology into the "Gates of Troy" or at least the Gates of De Troy
t. It would be a simple matter to convert those highly advanced and
ubiquitous fuel cell vehicles of the future to h2 by throwing out the
reformers that use the oil companies product.
It would be like the Hot Rodders of the 40's and 50's taking mass
produced Detroit Iron ( although I expect we will be converting fuel
cell Rice Grinders from Toyota) to satisfy our personal drivng needs.

So long as our renewables industry continues to live at home on green
power and then remains addicted to gasoline or diesel to power even the
great little Prius that gets you to town,our efforts are diminished and
the oil companies still "hold the high ground and laugh all the way to
the bank"

Converting to h2 using renewables begins with the first step and that
takes a willingness and commitment as well as our embracing and
encouraging its advancement.
We must all lead,follow or just "get the hell out of the way"
So far I have walked a few slow paces into h2 territory.

Anyone feel up to a marathon run while we install PV's on "gas" stations
during our rest stops ;-)?

Larry Elliott

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com