How about some Guerilla "gas"? [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Sun May 5 09:16:12 PDT 2002

Joel wrote.

> Well, that's it for today's lesson on competition. Your homework
assignment is
> to finish the following sentence: Putting PV on gasoline stations
is...

Okay Joel I will accept the assignment.

Putting PV on gasoline stations is a good idea only if the power is then
converted to hydrogen so that its overall impact in reducing our
dependence on oil is greatly expanded.
67% of oil used in America is for transportation.
A PV system installed in most cities will suffer severe limitations due
to the haze from burning oil in our cars and trucks, and so long as we
ignore this problem the output will simply be continually reduced.
Cleaning up utility power with PV's is at best like "pissing in the
ocean" in terms of overall impact when compared to our oil addiction
problems.

EV's are not produced by the auto manufactures primarily because there
is so little demand for them from the general public.
Build cars people really want and "they will come"

Even with the most advanced battery technology Toyota's RAV4EV has
little mass appeal.
I have driven this vehicle several times and like it but it is still
impractical.
Why?
Limited range and a $30,000 battery replacement cost.
That's in addition to the perceived "inconvience" of plugging in at
night.
As I write this I am listening to NPR and there is a report of Sara Lee
Backery producing bread without crust.
Why?
Because supposedly kids don't like crust and this "innovation" will give
parents more convience.
These are the same people to whom we are trying to sell EV's as well as
PV's.

As Neiche once said "the masses are incapable of rational thinking"

Sad but true.

Give the masses hydrogen produced right at the "gas" station using PV's
and you have actually achieved something of importance.
Put the same PV's on the same station and feed into the grid and you
have simply made a political statement.
Its true impact is essentially zero when all things are considered.
With state of the art electrolysis we can produce h2 at 90% efficiency
when using the self compression feature.

Grid tie at best will continue to  remain at something like 60+ %
efficiency and it is not truly stored.

Okay then Joel and others.
Putting PV on gas stations and homes and producing hydrogen as a direct
replacement for oil that begins to finally release the strangle hold big
oil has on America and thus giving true meaning to the word liberty, and
is more efficient overall than grid tie PV , is a true method of long
term storage of PV power, and is far more convienient and has more mass
appeal than EV's, and is safer than gasoline, and doesn't require the
car to haul around its own weight in toxic batteries and defeats the
argument that hydrogen will require mass pipelines for distribution ,and
when burned in an internal combustion engine actually has exhaust
cleaner than the air it used in the first place, and then simply returns
to water from which it first came etc etc ,is a bad idea
because??????????

Larry Elliott

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com