IEEE & UL & "Guerrillas" [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at jps.net
Fri May 3 09:02:21 PDT 2002

Some of you have heard this before, but in light of this thread it seems
appropriate for me to re-tell my experience with grid-tied RE in our area.

I have a similar story to Jeffrey Wolfe's. I was dealing with PacifiCorp here
on the West coast... in Northern California... this is a case of the utility
blatantly being in violation of the California net metering law. They were
requiring a $500.00 interconnection for a "special dual-register digital meter"
so they could "measure individual buy and sell totals". Since it is net metered
there is NO reason for this and if they want to do so the law states:
1) it must be done with the customers permission &
2) it must be done at their expense.

I sent tons of letters had tons of telephone conversations with them, and sent
tons of e-mails... month after month, all patiently explaining the law and how
their rules were in violation of them. After I repeatedly got the "brush off"
(thinking & perhaps hoping I would go away) I decided to get the California
Energy Commission involved. They agreed with my assessment of the violation and
contacted them on my behalf, again explaining how their rules were in violation
of the law. No reply. More e-mails, telephone conversations and months later, I
finally sent them a particularly strong letter demanding they change their
policies to comply with their legal mandates. This resulted in a letter saying
they would review my concerns at an upcoming meeting. About a month later, I
got a reply stating the finding of their meeting was... (are you ready?)...
that they were in compliance and would not change their policy. Mind you this
is a company that likes to pat themselves on the back (and include such spam in
with their utility bills) about how green and concerned with the environment
they are. I wrote them back explaining how sorry I was that they were refusing
to comply with the law and that I would have to take this case to the
California PUC.

Next I approached the PUC and started jumping through all their hoops. First an
informal complaint was filed. After another period a month or so, it was
affirmed that the the utility was indeed out of compliance, which allowed the
next step, a  formal complaint. I filed this. This is when Tom Starrs (who
wrote the California Net Metering law) helped out and spoke to some of his
friends within the PUC giving them a "heads up" about the case. I believe this
seriously (thankfully) expedited the whole process. Soon, I received copies of
the official litigation papers the PUC sent to PacifiCorp indicating they were
suing them on my behalf.

Suddenly, the utility company saw the light, understood what I had been
politely and patiently saying to them for the last ~10 months. They said they
would change their tariffs so as to comply. I find it interesting that it took
litigation to get this "green" company to "understand"... (sigh). As a part of
our settlement agreement, as asked for them to comply with the law, refund the
$500.00 fee to everyone they had charged it to, and pay me $3500.00 for the
time I spent screwing around with them as they obviously and intentionally
obstructed their mandate to allow net metered systems in our service area.

CLEARLY if there had not been litigation to force them to comply, they would
still be in violation of the law.

End of story? Wait there is more.

Last summer, seeing a (since canceled) net metered system in the pipeline for
this summer, I contacted them for a sample contract and details regarding what
interconnection equipment they would allow. I got a call back in about November
saying they had received my request and "were working on it". It is now May and
I am still waiting...

And some people get upset because folks don't want to hassle with this BS and
just "go guerilla"? Give me a break. Some people do have lives to live and
better things to do then fight obstructionist utilities all day long. If you
enjoy fighting the strong arm tactics of their defiance, great. But I know of
many that choose an easier way, just do it anyway. I have seen several guerilla
systems. They use listed equipment installed in a safe, code compliant fashion.
The only difference is they do not have the "utility seal of approval". Some
people have found that the price for that seal is just too costly in terms of
money and mortality spent on such. Can you blame them for just "doing it
anyway"?

This kind of things happen in many aspects of most people's lives. Some people
prefer to do it all "by the book", above the table, ducks all in a row. Some
don't want the hassle and bother, so here and there they do some things under
the table. There is so much red tape and BS to deal with every where you turn
these days. Most of which is aimed at "collecting fees" (another word for
taxes) or insuring "safety" and so forth. When the "right way" becomes the
simple (and inexpensive) way, everyone will do it. Until then, there will be
many that will prefer the simpler, cheaper and easier way. I put forth that it
is those that take this route that actually promote less bureaucracy in
everyone's lives. The regulators want their user fees, taxes, permits, licenses
etc. AND they are also smart enough to know if they make it too difficult, they
will regulate themselves right out of their income.

Maybe someday the utilities will get the message that distributed RE is here to
stay and they need to "get with the program" here and be the concerned, green
folks they like to promote themselves as. Until then, those working on the
front lines:
at the negotiation tables towards easy, boilerplate interconnections  and
those guerillas down in the trenches will have to keep at it.

Both are working through different means to achieve the same ends.

my .02

Todd

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com