furnace [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Sun Apr 21 22:13:36 PDT 2002

Travis Creswell wrote:

> >Watch out about trying to run new furnaces with inverters (even SW's).

Thanks to everyone who responded to my furnace inquire, espeically Windy
who posted the gas valve P-load work-around and all.  I think I may have
the client talked into an LP gas fired boiler and hydronic heating
system (in-floor in the basement ceiling suppling the uptairs and
baseboard in the basement itself).

If I could continue the thread, can anyone offer information on what LP
gas boiler's or hydronic heating systems that have worked well in
off-grid heating?

Looking back at all the off-grid systems I have done (which is mostly
what I do), almost all have heated with wood, passive solar, and perhaps
direct vent LP space heaters that require no electricity (often used for
when they are away and not firing the woodstove).  My own solar and wood
heated (super-insulated) house has never frozen up during the winter
months even though I am frequently gone for two or three week periods
during the coldest periods of the winter (bail out).  I'd love to hear
about other off-grid home heating systems as well.

It seems like off-grid PV systems are still growing as fast as grid-ties
(outside CA).  An offering of energy efficient, non-wood fired, PV
powered heating systems would greatly improve our ability to satisify
the needs of customers who can not, or do not, want to deal with
wood-fired heating.

Thanks again,

Kurt Nelson
SOLutions