Kiln [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Wed Apr 17 22:59:20 PDT 2002

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection wrote:

> Yo Schmittmeister,
2KW or better of PV, you're still going to need quite a bit of battery
> there, me buck-o.

Hey Smitty and Bob-O,

Yup, I do a little pottery and have an electric kiln at a friend's
on-grid house.  Often though about solar powered kilns.  You can
actually do it pretty easy and inexpensive.

1) Put in a little grid-tie system, maybe a hundred watts and a
micro-sine.

2) Figure out how much solar you put on the grid.

3) Feel free to draw that many solar KWH's out of your "bank account" to
solar power your kiln periodically.

4) Proudly proclaim your glass work to be solar powered, perhaps
complete with a cool tri-fold flyer promoting both your glass and solar
grid-tied systems.

The MREA used to solar power the studio of a local public radio station
on Earth Day with their Sun Chaser mobile power station.  Last year I
just couldn't come up with the time and travel (not to mention the gas!)
ro drive the Sun Chaser up to Hayward and hook the studio up to the
sunchasers's PVs/batteries.  We did the same radio blitz on the solar
powered transmission (studio and transmitter up to the tower) as in
previous years, yet also promoted grid-tied systems!  We simply
explained on-air that the MREA was dedicating all their grid-tied solar
watts to the broadcast that day.  As simple as a little, batteryless
grid-tie.

Kurt Nelson

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com